1.0 - Environmental Issues
2.0 - Global Warming
3.0 - Natural resource issues
4.0 - Test your Knowledge
Basic concepts: Why electrification?
There are two main reasons to make our vehicles more efficient:
- Emissions of CO2 and pollutants are affecting the planet (global warming) and human beings (disease)
- Energy independence of countries is critical for economic sustainability
The CO2 emissions are directly related to both fuel and harmful tailpipe emissions. All design decisions from OEMs are largely influenced by CO2. Significant penalties will be paid by OEMs if targets are not achieved. New technologies for CO2 reduction fit now in Business case
Weight reduction and internal combustion help reducing CO2 emissions but they are not enough to meet targets
We can see in next graphic requiered CO2 Levels and Oil Price in main countries next years
And this is the New Re-Architecting Era in opinion of GM. But evidence is that Vehicle electrification is mandatory to meet targets.
- Need for mobility is growing worldwide
- Energy independence is becoming a critical issue
- Fuel consumption has to be reduced, with a combined technological effort
- Regulations require Co2 emission values that can only be achieved implementing electrified powertrains.